Thursday, August 21, 2008

Viva la Vida

I listen to a pretty wide variety of music and lately I've been catching this tune on the radio and it's grown on me.

Viva La Vida - Coldplay
I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics at first, I just enjoyed the sound of the song - an uplifting sort of feeling. I like the use of orchestral instruments, and I also like the singer's voice. Then I started listening to the lyrics. You know, sometimes you start to like a song and then when you really listen to the lyrics you realize the message is not what you thought and it ruins the song for you. So I started to listen to the lyrics but I didn't get them all. Enter the internet. I love it - I can find anything on here, including the words to songs.

So, I got online and found the lyrics...only there were several versions! You know, the old 'mondegreen' problem. Was it "Lucy in disguise with diamonds" or was it "Lucy in the sky with diamonds"? Basically, I just wanted to see what the song was about and it seems there are many different interpretations of what 'story' the artist was telling. Was it religiously significant? Was it about Napoleon? I'm not quite certain but at least it's nothing overtly objectionable.

Anyway, I think I'll stop analyzing and just enjoy. Please do the same yourselves!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Their song Violet Hill from this CD reminds me of later-era Pink Floyd...

Significant Snail said...

I hadn't heard this song so I went and checked it out. Your right, it is quite Pink Floydish.